Last week in January, I was struck by the fact that this is my fifth year in Sofia. Five. Ha.
And I thought it would only last a year. Silly me.
I was walking to school and trying to figure out how many times I’d done this walk. Had I done this walk more than any other walk in my life? I decided that in fact I’d probably walked from my house in Washington DC at 14th and U to Dupont Circle more than I’ve made the trip from Mladost 1A to the American College of Sofia.
Sure I’ve spent four years in both places after living for one year in different homes but the same cities. Remember when I used to live on a cute little street Strumitsa in downtown Sofia?! Miss you, Strumitsa.
Anyhow, without actually having to do any math I decided that DC wins if only because I had many fewer vacations and had to go to work year round when I was at Georgetown and I got about two weeks of vacation for the year. Here in Sofia, I’ve got lots of long weekends, Christmas break, Spring break and a two-month long Summer vacation!! Needless to say, with all of these holidays I’ve clearly made the DC commute more times. Sorry, Sofia.
Still all of this got me thinking about all of the things I’ve outlived (or maybe it’s better to say lived through) in Sofia. So here they are in no particular order:
- The Mladsot Bike path I don’t even have a bike and I think this is a great addition to the city.
- Starbucks A little taste of home–I am a Washington State girl after all.
- A Billa opening in downtown Sofia. Oh this would have made my life much, much easier my first year in Sofia.
- Subway the sandwich shop–not to be confused with point #4 the actual metro.
- The second line of the Metro and the Mladost 3 metro stop. It’s like we’re an actual city with public transportation. I can’t wait for the airport stop. Now that will be something.
- H&M and The Mall–who names a mall that, really?! I will never get over that.
- Memento Coffee Shop My favorite coffee shop/bar in Sofia. Not to brag but I’m a regular here. For the record, I love the Vitosha Memento best.
- Take a Cake I love it, love it. If only they’d start making a red velvet cupcake my life would be complete.
- Carrefour Who doesn’t love a huge French grocery store?! And they carry at least tree different kinds of applesauce in case you’re interested.
- Ikea I’ve only been once since it opened but it made my heart race. They had everything I needed to get organized and meatballs. Why are the Swedes better at everything?!
Then I got on a 76 bus to get to school and I realized that this bus clearly has me beat. It’s been around forever.
That’s okay because I actually outlived the bus stop on Malinov at the corner near McDonalds. A couple of months ago, I think someone hit the bus stop with their car. The metal frame held on for a couple of days before it’s mangled frame was removed. Now we all we’ve got is the posted sign for the bus stop and the memories.
I am sure that I’ve left something awesome off the list so just add in the comments sections below if you think of something. Thanks!